Monday, November 14, 2011

How to Make Coconut Water Kefir (w/ boxed coconut water)

I've always wanted to try coconut kefir but the thought of carting home a case of young coconuts home on the subway was not very encouraging. I decided to try making it with boxed coconut water and it totally worked! I used the ZICO brand because I saw that it didn't contain any extra additives so I'm not sure if other brands will work...


So first you dump the entire container (1 liter) of coconut water into a glass jar. Make sure the coconut water and the jar are room temperature.

Next, add in the powder from two probiotic capsules

This could totally be in a photography gallery! I've never seen such a professional looking picture of pills....





























Be sure that your probiotic capsules contain "lactobacillus acidophilus" bacteria.

Stir in the powder and screw on the jar lid tightly. Place in a warm environment for 1 1/2 - 2 days and make sure it's warm, I tried just putting it on the counter and it didn't work (I ended up putting it on a heat register with a towel over it to keep the heat in). You will know it's ready when it becomes significantly cloudy.

Store in the refrigerator and enjoy with meals to aid digestion and get a hefty dose of probiotics!

Drink up me hearty yo ho!....





























The boxed coconut water is not as "fresh" so the kefir will be a more yellow-y colour (it was even yellow-ish in the beginning), but it's just as fizzy in my opinion! You'll know it's done when it tastes like beer and no longer contains the subtle sweetness coconut water is famous for.

This is such a powerful drink! Click HERE to read all the amazing benefits of coconut kefir!

Also check out our EBOOK if you're looking for more fizzy recipes

5 comments:

  1. wow i never realized that's how easy it was to make coconut kefir! i want to try making my own almond milk yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sketch-free girls! I love your site and recipes! I'm a "Body Ecology" friend. I'm especially admiring your photography today as I'm looking for a camera to take pictures of my art. Can you recommend the one you use? xo Juliette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle and I are slowing getting back into making our own fermented drinks and foods, coconut kefir is on the list! we forgot how much we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic, I'd like to try this with fresh coconut milk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't see you blogroll, is it normal ?

    ReplyDelete