Friday, July 15, 2011

Butterscotch-Tahini Bars

Remember our Sunbutter Chocolate Bars? Well this is the butterscotch version! And Lucuma is the secret ingredient.

Lucuma is a delicious raw, fruit-based powdered sweetener that tastes like shortbread-y caramel-ness. So it was necessary for these butterscotch bars.

We used tahini, but you could also use cashew butter for a richer taste. Tahini is just cheaper and off sets the sweetness a bit.

1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup lucuma powder
pinch salt
20 drops stevia
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Black sesame seeds to top

Creamy and snappy! Sprinkled with black sesame

2 butters are better than 1

I am loving these butterscotch bars! Butterscotch is always left in the dust while chocolate gets all the glory, am I right? Well this time butterscotch is in the spotlight! ;)


  1. Wow those look so interesting! Where did you find Lucuma?

  2. You can find it at health food stores or online! try

  3. I think butterscotch is definitely underrated! And these look fantastic (in fact, I bet they'd be a great submission to Wellness Weekends. . . hint, hint!) ;) I've never used that much lucuma all at once--going to give this a try! :)

  4. i've never tried lucuma, but i've seen other bloggers bake with it! maybe i'll try it :D. these bars look great! i am a huge fan of cashew butter, so that would be perfect. hehe and i would like to give you another hint hint like ricki! you can submit it to my clean eating event! :D have a great day!

  5. beautiful girls! you we would love this

  6. Wow, this looks really good...
    Do you have any substitutions for Lucuma?

  7. @Aspiring Steph: hey steph! actually no, we haven't come up with a substitute for lucuma yet, it's just so darn unique.
    Let us know if you figure it out!

  8. I found this post from Ricki's Wellness Weekends - and I'm SO glad I found you!! these sound and look amazing! I love lucuma, I love tahini, I will definitely be making these! thanks for sharing, and good to "meet" you! :)

  9. Coming over from Ricki's WW, too. I couldn't resist Butterscotch Tahini Bars. Oh my goodness, serious yum. While I've never tried lucuma before, I will now. And I hope it won't offend you, but these bars look like the pattern of the fabric from a dress I once owned. Hehe, but seriously, they do. Love the look and am imagining the taste! :-)


  10. Hi, I finally got to make these tonight and could hardly stop myself from eating it all up. I'm looking forward to trying the original carob sesame ones, too!

  11. I made these today and the taste is kind of bitter. Also the color is different. I made it with tahini and instead of stevia I used agave. I'll try one more time but probably with less lucuma.

  12. Where is the rest of the recipe? How are they assembled? Are they baked?

    1. Marlene,
      Take a look at the Sunbutter Chocolate bars in recipes on this site. The Butterscotch-Tahini bars follow the same no-bake procedure.